Leaders Meeting Notes – 2016
· Camp set up is underway with good progress.
· The county has been in to spray for mosquitos, but they are still present.
· There will be a new monkey bridge going across the lake! Open in the afternoon!
· Theme – Get your eye patches ready! Pirates of the Kittatinny!
· FCA – changes to the program to reflect the new requirements
o We are working off the idea that most new Scouts will have completed SCOUT, so
the requirements focus on Tenderfoot, Second and First Class.
· What do you do if a Scout can’t eat the food served?
o We have the alternative menu – if there needs to be anything different then that, we have 2 fridges, and 2 microwaves to store / prepare food supplied by the Scout.
· What is the status of the bear population?
o The local bears have not been in camp proper as of now – they will hopefully stay away – please be vigilante about bringing food into your site though!
· Any age restrictions on the shooting badges?
o Nope – but be mindful of the physical size / capabilities of the Scout.
· What adult training’s are available?
o Safety Afloat, Safe Swim Defense, Leave No Trace, Climb On Safely
· How are medicine distributed to Scouts?
o Medications will be collected by the Health Officer at Check-In. They will be logged, placed in a locked container and returned to a troop leader. That leader will distribute them to the Scouts over the course of the week. At the end of the week, the box will be returned back to the Health Office with the record of administration. Refrigerated medicines will be kept and distributed from the Health Lodge.
· Do you do pre-sign ups for merit badges?
o We don’t do pre-sign ups for merit badges, Scouts just need to show up at the right time and place.
· Do adults need to be registered / on the charter?
o Yes! Any adult staying in camp needs to be on the charter and registered with the BSA.
· How do Scouts sign up for FCA / Merit Badges?
o To sign up for FCA and Merit Badges, Scouts just need to show up at the right time in the right place. For a merit badge they should have a signed blue card.
· Can we take our swim test in advance?
o Since we are a dark lake, swim tests must be done at camp in the lake.
· What day / time is Horsemanship?
o The badge will be just Wednesday morning.
· Can Scouts take other merit badges while doing horsemanship the rest of the week then?
o Yes – just be sure to discuss it with the counselor that you wont be there Wednesday.
· Why do Trail to Eagle pre-requisites need to be typed?
o In order to ensure they are done at the proper level before coming to camp, we want to make sure they are completed at home.
· Do all pre-requisites need to be typed?
o No, but we do want to make sure they are completed at the proper level.
· If there are leaders switching during the week, how do they do that?
o Leaders should check in and out at the camp office. Once they are in camp, they can participate in all programs – swim tests, boating, activities etc
· When should Leaders take their swim tests?
o Leader can take their swim tests on Sunday during check in. There will also be a leaders meeting on Monday at the Waterfront. It may be less hectic to take it then.
· If we have special skills for a service project – how can we sign up for that and know what to bring?
o Email firstname.lastname@example.org the week before coming to camp and we will try to work out a good project.